The project is combined design of a dental clinic and a dentist’s residence, located in the suburbs of Nagano, Japan.
A concrete plate 300 millimeters thick forms zigzag structure, which makes up three shells and two open courtyards. As well as lying in alternate shifts, they face each other across the plate. Each shell has different functions inside, residence, clinic and waiting lounge. In each courtyard two glass boxes are set and used as pathways and entry halls between two adjacent shells. Inside the glass there is the same visual environment as outdoor. People pass through the glass can see the sun or the rain falling above their head. They move from one function to another with change in mood.
Minami-Nagano Dentai Clinic & Residence, Nagano, Japan by Hiroki Tanabe
Inspired by small structures found in nature, the Chicago Spire, formerly known as the Fordham Spire and 400 North Lake Shore Drive, will be the tallest building in North America when it is completed in 2010. At 2000 feet it will be the first building to reach that milestone.
This subtle “removable skin” echoes the neighboring gallery after-hours shutters, subtly contextualizing the building within its site. The building can literally become a uniform minimal cube, or it can open completely (as well as virtually unlimited permutations between). South of the loggia, twenty foot tall, upwardly pivoting glass walls open completely, thus blurring the boundary between the inside and outside – the double height living room and loggia become one. Similarly, a series of interior sliding glass doors create an open “universal floor” in each of the duplex houses – one vast and uninterrupted expanse which transitions seamlessly from inside to outside, or partition the space into private areas.
- Shigeru Ban
Everybody deserves to work in an office like this. Located within a 1961 Charles Luckman building in downtown Beverly Hills, this interiors project consists of 63,000 sf of offices for nearly 200 people and an 80 seat screening room. Endeavor is the third largest talent agency in the world and the company represents a wide range of writers, directors, and actors including Martin Scorsese and Paul Thomas Anderson. The main premise of the open office space was to allow for daylight to reach into the assistant’s area. The sectional raise toward the perimeter and a band of clerestory glass creates natural lighting conditions that significantly enhances work life and the collective spirit of the agency.
Endeavor Office, Los Angeles, USA by NMDA
House in Las Palmas, Los Palmas, Chile by Sebastian Irarrazaval and Guillermo Acuna at Sebastian Irarrazaval
Salvator Garage, Munich, Germany, by Peter Haimerl
The Glass House is one of the most inspiring examples of the mid-century American interpretations of European modernism or, as Johnson and Henry Russell Hitchcock dubbed it in their 1932 book, The International Style. Perched on a leafy hill with a picture postcard view across the Rippowam Valley, the house consists of a roof, a floor and four glass walls supported by eight steel piers. The bathroom and a fireplace are enclosed in a brick cylinder, leaving the rest of the 65-by-32 square-foot, or about 6-by-3 square-meter, space entirely exposed to the surrounding greenery.
Hopelessly impractical though a transparent home would be for a family – or for anyone who wasn’t lucky enough to be able to afford quite so much land – it was perfect for the fastidious Johnson and his lovers.
“The only house in the world where you can watch the sun set and the moon rise at the same time. And the snow. It’s amazing when you’re surrounded at night with the falling snow. It’s lighted, which makes it look as though you’re rising on a celestial elevator.”
Alice Rawsthorne, the International Herald Tribune
Philip Johnson’s Glass House, 1949, New Canaan, Connecticut.
Official Site: Philip Johnson Glass House
+ Buy the DVD, Philip Johnson: Diary of An Eccentric Architect at Amazon
Central Helsinki’s, Aleksandria Learning Centre is part of the University of Helsinki. The Orginal building dates from 1907 and was designed by Gunnar Stenius (Lindgren & Stenius)
Aleksandria Learning Centre Extension, Helsinki, Finland, by Arkkitehtitoimisto Davidsson
Via: Below the Clouds